Family Health Team are patient centered and opened up access to many primary health care services offered by a range of professionals who are members of the team, including your family doctor. The goal is to maintain optimal health, manage chronic diseases and ensure optimization of the quality of life of the individual.
The Eastern Ottawa Community Family Health Team receives registered clients by appointment only to ensure provision of care to the best of our ability.
Unfortunately, The EOCFHT does not have the resources to offer walk-in hours for emergency situation. On the other hand, you may be able to see a doctor or a nurse practitioner on the same day or the day after your call. Specific appointment availabilities are reserved for acute health care needs such as sinutitis, urinary tract infection, otitis, etc..
If you are not able to attend your next appointment, please inform us as soon as possible.
Medical visit with the family physician or the nurse practitioner
Our qualified family physician and nurse practitioners uses a patient-centred approach and ensure guidance through your health goal achievement.
The most frequent reason to consut are renewal of medication, follow-up of chronic health conditions, diabetes for instance, routine health examination, etc.
What are nurse practitioners?
Nurse practitioners (NPs) are registered nurses who have additional education and nursing experience, which enables them to:
- Autonomously diagnose and treat illnesses
- Order and interpret tests
- Prescribe medications
- Perform medical procedures
NPs are health-care professionals who treat the whole person, an approach that includes:
- Addressing needs relating to a person’s physical and mental health
- Gathering medical history
- Focusing on how an illness affects a person’s life and family
- Offering ways for a person to lead a healthy life
- Teaching persons how to manage chronic illness
NPs are also educators and researchers who can be consulted by other health-care team members.
- See more at: https://cna-aiic.ca/en/nursing-practice/the-practice-of-nursing/advanced-nursing-practice/nurse-practitioners#sthash.5OZNNald.dpuf
Registered nurse are qualified health care providers and provides a variety of different services such as injections, immunization, dressing chances and wound care, stiches removal and other clinical duties such as data collection prior to a physical exam, etc.
Nurses offered phone consultations and provide health advices. The play a important role in support of our patients having chronic diseases.
Your visit to your family doctor is always important. Here is some advice to help improve visit satisafaction and efficiency.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior your scheduled appointment. Questionnaires on your health status are to be completed, optimizing time spent with your health care provider.
- Prepare in advance your health related questions to make sure nothing is forgotten. starting with the most important is recommended, due to time restriction.
- Bring with you the most recent version of your medication in their original container prepared ny the pharmacist (inhaler, pills, liquids). All other over-the-counter medications taken should be brought as well. Frequent verifiations are essential to ensure your safety.
This type of visit is usually of short duration and problem-oriented:
- When did that problem start?
- How long does it last?
- Is it constant or intermittent?
- Where is it?
- Is the onset related to a specific event?
- How would you describe the pain? its intensity?
- Does the pain radiate elsewhere? if yes, where? When?
- Did you seek health care for the same problem before?
Usually, this type of visit is related to a physical examination (previously call annual exam).
As for the one-time visit, you would be encouraged to share any new problems and other subjects such as:
- Any important health condition that your genetically related family members (mother, sister, brother, cousins, grand-parents, chidren) may have suffered from.
- If relevant, bring your log book used for your blood sugar, hypertension, headaches monitoring, for instance.
- Bring your Immunization card.